Grifols Los Angeles site is awarded "Highly Protected Risk (HPR)" status
- HPR translates into a high level of business sustainability and resilience that minimizes risks
- HPR is the highest recognition an industrial site may achieve in terms of prevention and protection.
- The HPR award at the Los Angeles site (U.S.) follows the Grifols commitment towards its patients and its services continuity
Barcelona, April 22, 2014: Grifols (MCE:GRF, MCE:GRF.P and NASDAQ:GRFS), a leader in the production of plasma-derived medicines, achieved the "Highly Protected Risk" (HPR) certification at its Los Angeles site, the highest recognition an industrial site may obtain in terms of prevention and protection.
The process to achieve the award, implemented by FM Global, a property damage insurance company, consists in assessing and engineering the risk, helping to prevent it, in mitigating losses.
The certification recognizes the following criteria are met at the Los Angeles plasma protein production site:
- Knows its risk and maintains a risk reduction process.
- Has established all needed human element programs to reduce frequency of losses. A HPR site has four times less probability to have a loss compared to non-HPR sites.
- Has implemented all reasonable protection measures to reduce the gravity of a loss, including losses caused by natural hazards. Compared to non-HPR sites, the average gross loss on a HPR site is 10 times less. to avoid large losses to occur
- The business interruption potential of the site in case of loss is minimized.
The HPR award to the Los Angeles site is in line with the Grifols' commitment to guarantee plasma protein production and prevent potential production capacity losses. The award is the result of Grifols constant efforts to maintain its position as trusted supplier to patients and healthcare professionals.
Grifols is a global healthcare company with a 70-year legacy of improving people's health and well being through the development of life-saving plasma medicines, diagnostics systems, and hospital pharmacy products.
The company is present in more than 100 countries worldwide and is headquartered in Barcelona, Spain. Grifols is a leader in plasma collection with a network of 150 plasma donor centers in the U.S., and a leading producer of plasma-derived biological medicines. The company also provides a comprehensive range of transfusion medicine, hemostasis, and immunoassay solutions for clinical laboratories, blood banks and transfusion centers, and is a recognized leader in transfusion medicine.
In 2013, sales exceeded 2,740 million euros with a headcount of 13,200 employees. Grifols demonstrates its commitment to advancing healthcare by allocating a significant portion of its annual income to R&D.
The company's class A shares are listed on the Spanish Stock Exchange, where they are part of the Ibex-35 (MCE:GRF). Its non-voting class B shares are listed on the Mercado Continuo (MCE:GRF.P) and on the U.S. NASDAQ via ADRs (NASDAQ: GRFS). For more information visit www.grifols.com